Organisations must meet one or more of the following criteria to qualify:
- Accredited public or private universities and TAFE institutions that grant qualifications requiring at least two years of full-time study.
- Accredited public and private K-12/P-12 institutions including charter and virtual schools.
- University hospitals, libraries, research laboratories, and museums wholly-owned and operated by the schools above.
- Government Departments of Education, administrative offices, boards of education, and county offices of education.
- Public Libraries.
- Staff and students with appropriate id from qualifying institutions.
The following institutions or organizations do not qualify:
- Non-accredited schools.
- Hospitals not wholly owned and operated by an educational institution.
- Religious organizations that are not accredited schools.
- Federal, state, and local government organisations.
- Military academies that do not offer an academic degree.
- National laboratories.
- Training centres or schools that grant certificates for training across various disciplines.
- Institutions using the license for any commercial purpose.